Recent comments

• Old rail underpass by Paton Road.   4 weeks 4 days ago

I heard it was sealed when someone was killed in the tunnel. It would've been 15 years ago I think. When they build the new overpass, there is supposed to be room for people to walk under it at that point. But the shortcut to Propeller and the subway is a ways away.

• Corner of Lansdowne and Dupont   8 weeks 6 days ago

The contaminant is Trichloroethylene (TCE). It's from the GE factory, and seeped underground to that whole area. There's more about this property on this site here.

• Corner of Lansdowne and Dupont   8 weeks 6 days ago

That empty lot just south of Wallace on the East side of Lansdowne has been contaminated with some kind of toxic ground level water from what I understand. That's why you look in there all you ever see is huge mounds of loose gravle - I believe they do some kind of toxic cleanup behind those fences and contain as many traces of the toxic water by smothering it with gravle that can be loaded into heavy trucks and disgarded somewhere safe, while tons and tons of new gravle gets dumped around where it's needed....I honestly don't know the logistics, but I assume the gravle makes it so that it can't evaporate into the open air.

What I would like to know is, what kind of toxic water/chemical is it and how did it get there?

• Old rail underpass by Paton Road.   12 weeks 1 day ago

I remember seeing that underpass too. I didnt know there were gators there though. Scary huh. Maybe that's why it is sealed off.

• Pedestrian bridge near Automotive Tower?   14 weeks 2 days ago

This idea has come up many times and the two problems are cost and space. By law the bridge would have to be compliant with accessibility needs plus the bridge would need to meet specs to accommodate electrification. Both of these would cost.

The accessibility design would require a fairly large footprint on either side as stairs are not enough. There is just simply not enough room on Golden etc to do this.

There have also been suggestions of a bridge the other way over to Dublin Ave but again the issue is footprint.

I suspect that one day there will be a bridge when the population gets so great that there is political numbers to demand it.

• George Chuvalo - Local boxing champ   16 weeks 5 days ago

Mr.Kenny Cleveland gave me my nick name Tiger after blooding up my friends nose I was 7 years old Nicky Furlano, Bobby Defoe , Killer S , ,two girls that were twins , Mr. Dress Up did a play for up kids in the ring ! So many special moments sitting on Clyde Greys lap at the fights on tv live on Queen street , sparring Eddie Melo years later News Boys , Then Lansdowne sees Mr. Chuvalo come in hitting the Heavybeg with grey duck tape around the middle of the beg !!!

• George Chuvalo - Local boxing champ   17 weeks 5 days ago

Hi, I use to go to the Beaches Boxing Club with my dad, to watch my brothers Steve and John Hanti fight, you might remember them, if you know Bobby Dafoe. I loved watching boxing, and wished that I could of boxed too back in the day.

Anna Hanti

• Pedestrian bridge near Automotive Tower?   18 weeks 4 hours ago

Joe I don't know what irked you to answer in such manner. It was a legitimate question.
    The answer is yes there was some talk about it , during the Castlepoint community consultations, but it was always viewed as too costly and not very important. The truth is that South Perth residents had to pick their battles, and being a fairly small and compliant group, lost many chances to better advocate for South Perth. Having a bridge that connects this neighbourhood to the Roncie/Loblaw's is not just a matter of convenience. Decreasing car use in this neighbourhood is something that we should all be advocating for .Lets not forget we have not just the fit and hip there are many elderly, and families with small children who can not navigate the tracks with ease.
    To the original poster: Do welcome to the community!

• Andrew Huang ft. Side Pony Nation - Ma Bicyclette (local music video)   18 weeks 6 days ago

Loved it! The music is just so catchy! I just cant get it out of my head. I wanted to check out the PopSpot Video mentioned above but couldnt open it. Any idea why?

• Fuse Condos - Lansdowne & Dupont   26 weeks 3 hours ago

Hey Fuse Team!

Your neighbors in the triangle would LOVE an update. Looks like people have started moving into Fuse and the Metro building is under construction. Would love a status update and details please!

Thanks,
    JunctionTriangleResident

• Pedestrian bridge near Automotive Tower?   32 weeks 6 days ago

Walk around buddy. The poor condo dwellers will just have to make-do. The majority of them are young and fit enough to walk / bike around the train tracks. Welcome to the neighborhood.

• George Chuvalo - Local boxing champ   36 weeks 10 hours ago

GEORGE , MY NAME IS GEORGE RICHARD WALLIN , I TRAINED @ LANDSDOWNE FROM 1966 TO 1972 . BETWEEN YOU & CLYDE . BORN IN 1954 . JERRY BATES , BEV CARTER & TEDDY ALL TRAINED ME . I LOVED THOSE DAYS . I MOVED TO ALBERTA IN 1978 . NEXT TIME YOUR IN ALBERTA I WOULD LOVE TO SIT DOWN & REMINISE . YOU SIGNED A PICTURE OF YOURSELF , THIS PICTURE WAS MENT FOR ME , GG . WAS MY PARTNER GERALD GERRISH YOU MIGHT REMEMBER ME. I HAD ONE FIGHT @ CITY TV SPARED W/ BOBBY , JOE HENRY , CLYDE GRAY , CICLE KING , I WON TWO OF THE ALBERTA SO YOU THINK YOUR TOUGH FIGHTS IN SECONDS BECAUSE OF THIS HISTORY , MY NUMBER IS IN THE RED DEER DIRECTORY . PLEASE CALL & WE`LL HOOK UP , SEND A E-MAIL & GET IN TOUCH. YOUR FRIEND PUNCHY RICK .

• George Chuvalo - Local boxing champ   36 weeks 6 days ago

Robert lives in my home in milton on

• 100 in 1 Day: Buzz on the Bridge   46 weeks 5 days ago

Please don't vandalize the sidewalk this year, and maybe clean up the trash (bridge streamers, posters). Thanks.

• George Chuvalo - Local boxing champ   47 weeks 2 days ago

I knew the "Pretty Boy" Felstein at Toronto Athletic Club in the late 60s. In 1969 I went to Lansdowne and I don't think he was there. Chuvalo was, trained then by Max Kadin. The amateur star at that time was Bob Bozic. I had to spar with him and it was terrifying. I liked Felstein a lot. Does anyone know what happened to him?

• 436-38-40 Perth Avenue, 1944   1 year 1 week ago

Do you have any photos of the neighbourhood at that time?

• Andrew Huang ft. Side Pony Nation - Ma Bicyclette (local music video)   1 year 2 weeks ago

Heh... There's now a PopSpot Video version (with silly background annotations): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga1edI_9FDw

• Old rail underpass by Paton Road.   1 year 4 weeks ago

Been a while. I think there is more then gators down there. Few of us were trying to get the attention from Public Health and others levels of government regarding the un-used under path. Many residents close to the under path complained about seeing rats coming from the path. Not to mention a good breeding ground for West Nile virus.. Been dark and wet. The should fill the hole and do an enclosed over path above the rails to the other side, like Wallace bridge. Leaving it like that can be dangerous to the public as it is not sealed properly as water gets into the opening, not a good idea.

I remember when it first open it was been well used, then you seen a change. More criminal acts were happening, lights were been broken, tagging, very dark, unsafe. People stealing cars then letting go down the stairs, assaults. Never remember and sexual assault been reported. However I do remember people been robbed, many going unreported.

• George Chuvalo - Local boxing champ   1 year 4 weeks ago

Hey my name is Bill. I was 11 years old when i went to the beaches boxing club. That would have been 1975. The first person i met Travis there was jerry Bates who became my trainer. Will always remember jerry. White shirt, black tie and black dress pants. He was such a great tranier. Started sparing with a kid named Kenny shaw and another kid named john Robinson.

Eventually the gym died down so I ended up at queen city boxing club. thats were i met guys like nicky furlano, eddie melo, tray Travis kenny Cleveland and Clyde gray. I started sparing there with a kid named Robert Cumberland who was a slick boxer . i also met mark leduc there. Actually it was mark who gave
    Me my first pair of boxing trunks. Lots of good fights in those days. Joey melo would always fight killer saunders. Had a few good bouts thete myself.

After a couple years there i ended up at landsdown boxibg club. I met leo marsh and use to spare with his brother metric. Some long ago memories ill tell ya

• Old rail underpass by Paton Road.   1 year 5 weeks ago

watch out! there be gators and crocks lurking in those parts

• 436-38-40 Perth Avenue, 1944   1 year 5 weeks ago

My family (Martinkowski) lived at 436 Perth (the one on the left) from 1939 to Apr. 1945. The house on the right (440) was demolished to make way for a driveway into a new development. The Simic (spelling a guess) family lived at 438 along with thr Bell family and the Gevalla (spelling a guess) family lived at 440.

• Old rail underpass by Paton Road.   1 year 5 weeks ago

Hey - does anyone know the history of this underpass - why it was sealed off? How about opening it again? Great way to get to Propeller - or the Subway at Lansdowne!

• Rose's Antiques   1 year 7 weeks ago

JR's Auction House:

Here is a pic of the place I took a couple of days ago while walking my dog:

: )

• Rose's Antiques   1 year 9 weeks ago

Got a flyer today- on Thursdays there will be live auctions held there.
    Took a glance inside- some pretty interesting finds.

• Large Lot Between Wallace Ave & Paton Rd on Lansdowne   1 year 9 weeks ago

As many of you are aware, the TTC owned land at 640 Lansdowne Avenue was contaminated by previous industrial uses from the surrounding area. Following a lengthy legal battle between General Electric and the TTC over this contamination, an agreement was finally reached earlier this year.

As a result of my efforts and for the City and TTC to do its due diligence in facilitating the eventual transfer of this land, work is presently underway to complete the environmental testing process on the site to determine the current situation and next steps. This will include a Phase 1 and 2 Environmental Assessment and a Remedial Action Plan. These steps are necessary to ensure that something actually takes place on the land.

I have been informed that this work has started yesterday, meaning that action is taking place after many long years of this site sitting vacant and nothing happening.

This site has also been identified as a potential site for affordable housing through the City's Open Door Program. I would like to caution that everything is still very much in the preliminary stages and I will be updating the community as this issue progresses and the picture becomes clearer.