Recent comments

• Davenport Diamond Grade Separation   1 day 20 hours ago

To the young man who stopped to explain the purpose of the meeting - Thank you!

• Jane's Walk: Intriguing, industrial, Sterling Road!!   5 days 23 hours ago

Hello!
    I'll be leading the Jane's Walk tour next week--super excited! We will now be including interior tours of a glass studio, a print studio, Kal Mansur studio's and Phillip Beasley's incredible sculptural installations in the 213 and 225 Sterling Road buildings. Please join us for a drink after the walk at Gaslight bar at the end of Sterling Road at Bloor St. and if you have any suggestions for amazing things to point out on Sterling do let me know!

-Catto

• 5th Anniversary of Junction Triangle Naming Project   6 days 4 hours ago
  • 5th Anniversary of Junction Triangle Naming Project   6 days 9 hours ago

Hi, I had emailed the photos from the Junction Triangle's 5th Anniversary event to you awhile ago. Did you receive them?

• Community Cleanup Day   1 week 3 days ago

Yes...I just fixed that. I'm easily confused. :)

• Community Cleanup Day   1 week 3 days ago

I think that May and April have been interposed here, I could be wrong.

• Community Cleanup Day   1 week 3 days ago

I'm guessing April, and it's a typo...

• End of a JT landmark?   1 week 3 days ago

Reading the comments about the Wallace train pedestrian overpass. I was at two development meetings from the builder of the these new townhouses, and both times people asked about the Edwin road extension and were told that the new stair configuration would not involve a bridge closure for any amount of time. The new stairs do not continue in a straight line down, they will fold back towards the rail path, but at both meetings they said that the new stairs would be built and in place, and then they would remove the old staircase in order to extend Edwin down to Wallace.

If this has changed it is totally against the original planned project. People are referencing Vic's comments but I do not see them, if Vic has already said the same thing I am saying here, sorry about that!

• Davenport Diamond Grade Separation   1 week 4 days ago

Is the Metrolinx Super Bridge going to help the residents of Bloordale, Davenport Village and the Junction Triangle? Is it going to elevate the neighbourhood or just the trains?
    The Junction Triangle Rail Committee has a list of five ideas to make the plan better and we have started a discussion about the entire project that Metrolinx is attempting to avoid. Please join us.

• Southwest Corner of Dupont and Symington   1 week 6 days ago

A lot of these entries are old I can say up to 2013 there has been nothing done about this site Hydro used it when they were burying cables on Dupont. I asked Sobey's if they would consider building on the site they said they would investigate and heard nothing further since then and I moved away from the area but have been back coming through in 2014 and still nothing. I had no idea anything was buried underneath that would explain a lot. At the time I had only lived there that year and frustrated at the lack of proper grocery in the hood as 20 corner stores in the area is not helping things and totally useless it amazed me any of them are still around. So I am guessing once the Union Lofts go up no one will bother? I had asked the library but they are moving to Campbell I never understood why. This site has so much potential but goes unused because no one wants to bother even though the hood is changing. I had mentioned to Sobey's about that awful mall opposite with the bakery but no answer. It's sad even with new townhomes and a few new restos and cafes this side of Dupont remains neglected.

• Redevelopment of the Wallace-Perth Church property   2 weeks 7 hours ago

Church at Perth Wallace update. So many folks have been annoyed with the construction trucks on the sidewalks, blocking the street, and the deliveries by large trucks during to and from school hours. There have been quite a few calls to the police (like a week ago when a truck was parked in the center of the intersection for 40 minutes at 4pm. The police came close to charging the driver.) Today by chance I ran into an inspector from the Ministry of Labour who said they had received complaints as well and that he was now actively involved in monitoring the project. He will be visiting the site on a regular basis from now on.There was many things he was not happy about and will be ordering them to stop deliveries during the morning and afternoon school walks and correcting the unsafe storage of building supplies. This inspector has the power to shut the site down so we should see some improvements.

• new banh mi sandwich place on dupont/symington?   3 weeks 22 hours ago

We can't say enough how grateful we are to be in such a wonderful community! Along with banh mi with tasty char-grilled fillings, we offer soup, salad, baked goods and smoothies too. For the latest on what we are doing, you can always find us on facebook.com/baguetteco

Best,
    Lynn and Yong

• End of a JT landmark?   3 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks, that's reassuring.

• End of a JT landmark?   3 weeks 2 days ago

The only change is to reconfigure the east side stairs so that access is in the north-south direction, winding back on itself a once half way up. There will be no change to the main span or west side stairs. I live inthe neighbourhood and am doing work for the developer on this bridge with access to the building plans. The main span of the bridge is listed with the City as a heritage structure, so it would generally not be possible to demolish it without a very valid reason. Aside from a very cool structuee, this bridge serves a very usefull purpose for the community and is very well used by many people.

• End of a JT landmark?   3 weeks 2 days ago

Vic is correct. The bridge will be closed later this summer for 2 weeks. We are hoping that there will be bird netting put under the bridge too so people can sit under the bridge without heing pooed on.

• End of a JT landmark?   3 weeks 2 days ago

Unless something recently changed, the plan has been to just reconfigure the staircase so it does not interfere with the new road.

• Davenport Diamond Grade Separation   3 weeks 3 days ago

Seems like they are inviting select households to be part of the residents panel. I don't think it is fair to allow metrolinx to decide who can be on this panel. Has anyone received an invite who lives close to the tracks? I somehow doubt it. I would like to sign up on this panel, but require a 6 digit code. I think this is terrible, will bring down property values, add more pollution to the neighbourhood including sound, vibration, air, etc... Elevating a diesel train makes the pollution worse. This should be underground, end of story.

• new banh mi sandwich place on dupont/symington?   3 weeks 4 days ago

You're probably thinking of Baguette & Co. at Dupont and Edwin: http://www.junctiontriangle.ca/node/2434

• Davenport Diamond Grade Separation   4 weeks 23 hours ago

The Barrie corridor and the Georgetown corridor should meet at Weston and from Weston to Union station should be a double track, in another words both track join to run parallel each other, so from York University instead going strait to Union station, go to join the Georgetown at Weston and run parallel to Union station. If a bridge is needed, is much easier to serve both at the same time.

• Property Tax Reduction [Re: Nitta Gelatin Odour]   4 weeks 4 days ago

i have just filed a request to the corresponding office to review my property tax and potentially have it reduced. i cant wait to see what they say.

• Property Tax Reduction [Re: Nitta Gelatin Odour]   4 weeks 4 days ago

i see. so there is nothing else we can do to get rid of this nasty smell...maybe i'll move out of the area soon if this smell does not go away...it smells really really bad, and it was my fault for not realizing this smell prior to purchasing the new home...just sour!!!!

• Property Tax Reduction [Re: Nitta Gelatin Odour]   4 weeks 4 days ago

CRA does not manager property taxes, they are managed by the city of Toronto, and the Ministry of the Environment is provincial so they would not be impacted by the city reducing your property taxes. The city of Toronto does have provisions for temporary property tax reductions when you can't make use of your home, but this is normally meant for people who's homes burn down of something similar, even then the reductions are generally not significant. I would also make the point that you are not charged property taxes for the use of your home, you are charged property taxes for city services like garbage pickup, use of streets, public transit, parks, fire department, police etc. I'm not clear that any of those services are impacted by the smell.

• Nitta Gelatin factory emissions increasing?   4 weeks 5 days ago

it's really really bad at this very particular moment...jesus christ

• Nitta Gelatin factory emissions increasing?   4 weeks 6 days ago

Oh it was horrible last week...coming out of the station you could smell it...i understand it's a place of employment but the days of industries in the middle of residential neighborhoods needs to be reconsidered...

• Nitta Gelatin factory emissions increasing?   5 weeks 7 hours ago

hi neighbors,

i've just moved to the this neighbourhood. this does smell really bad...realized the smell last week..did anyone else smell it?....let's complain