Recent comments

• Man succumbs to injuries in hospital after Junction Triangle shooting   3 days 3 hours ago

Despite this tragedy I am comforted in knowing that we live among upstanding citizens that are willing to help out. I heard/saw many neighbours coming forward to help the police as witnesses. It is important to stand together and help out to make the neighbourhood feel safe again.

I hope they catch the person that did this and that in the long run we don't lose our collective sense of security in the neighbourhood. I truly love living in the Junction Triangle.

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   1 week 5 days ago

There is an open file at Alcohol and Gaming Commission for This Month Only Bar.

My family have been negatively affected by the This Month Only bar and its patrons for years now. This might sound extreme but drug trafficking, impaired drivers and verbal insults coming from bar patrons are daily occurrences. My partner does not feel safe walking past the establishment even during day.

I have approached bar/building owners Tim and Emily many times to make them aware of the issues. I pointed out my concerns to them and offered my help if they needed any community input. The owners argued that people who deal/use drugs in front of their bar are not their patrons. They denied overserving to their clients who drive.
    I continue to text the bar owners when I see impaired patrons getting into cars or on motorcycles. I record licence plates of folks that look impaired, most of them are bar regulars. I talked to the owners about positive changes in neighborhood and that they could benefit from it.

After 3 years of communicating with the bar owners there is not a change in the way they operate their business. Year 2014 was the worst in terms of level of delinquency from TMOB. Overserving and drug trafficking that happens around this licensed business should be addressed for the sake of the public and Junction Triangle.

I recently contacted Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario who is responsible for administering the Liquor Licence Act, they opened a file on This Month Only Bar about two weeks ago.

If you are concerned about any of above mentioned issues regarding This Month Only Bar please contact
    Jade Lead (License Enforcement of Alcohol Commission): 416-432-1226. Jade seems very reasonable.
    Your call will make a difference.

• CP Rail construction near Osler crossing   1 week 6 days ago

We heard the sirens responding last night but were not sure what had happened. So tragic!

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   1 week 6 days ago

Well, considering that the owner is a young guy with a family...One could only hope that he cared but I he does not...he use to live above the bar with his wife and after they had a child they moved out...so he knows this is not a good place otherwise he would still be living there with his family. He applied for a patio license a few years ago, he had a petition with signatures from his customers who's addresses were not from the neighbourhood.
    Ana Bailao's office is aware of this place, according to them, his license is up for renewal this month. I was told that they are fighting to get his liquor license revoked or at least his hours of operation shortened. Maybe if he gets hit in the pocket, then he will care.
    I was also informed by Ana Bailao's office that the Coffee Time on Landowne and Dupont is no longer 24hrs, they now close at 10pm. They were able to do this, not because of police reports, because there were none, although everyone knows about this place, non of the neighbours ever called the police. They were able to get it due to the number of accidents that occurred as people were trying to get out of there as fast as they could after their transaction.

• Wallace Bridge: Looking into the Junction Triangle   2 weeks 6 hours ago

Great article. Strictly speaking this area is adjacent the Junction but still definitely relevant (the train corridor etc).
    This neighbourhood must have its own name.

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   2 weeks 1 day ago

I thought the neighbourhood was and is great.

I think it is important to be informed. When I first heard this story I was shocked and thought it was just an exaggeration by my friend, especially since it was not in the news. This was actually the only place I could corroborate the event.

Is there anything that can be done about getting "This Month Only" to care more about their serving practices?

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   2 weeks 2 days ago

yay hopefully more good things to come...tim hortons..mcdonalds...starbucks....they should all holla......so live!!!

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   2 weeks 3 days ago

Change comes slowly, yet all the businesses you just listed there have opened only in the last 4 years. That is actually quite impressive rate of change. That is a lot of good in our 'hood.

• Jane's Walk: Intriguing, industrial, Sterling Road!!   2 weeks 3 days ago

I took a bunch of photos of the Friday evening edition of this Jane's Walk. They're posted to Flick here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vgedris/sets/72157652377171245/

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   2 weeks 4 days ago

Unless legitimate businesses step up to seize the storefronts around this place and eventually weed out places like this that have run rampant in this hood for years, there is little that can be done. They will claim they are running a business. By now I would have hoped that more indie entrepreneurs would have taken a chance on some of the storefronts on Dupont...other than Cafe Con Leche, Farmhouse Tavern, Farmer's daughter, Baguette and Co, Boo's and maybe El Amacen(does it even open it's doors with consistent hours?) and Four Cats art studio, there are too many abandoned places. I know it has to do with zoning but nothing will change unless the aforementioned types of places exsist. The bar itself has potential...the space it is as does the one across the street...but they pose issues because of the people that frequent them...

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   2 weeks 5 days ago

Hi,
    PrimeMinister - I acknowledge your point. Great initiatives and general improvements need to be acknowledged.

However important and often "difficult" issues must be addressed.

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   2 weeks 5 days ago

This is a great forum to discuss issues in the neighbourhood, regardless of those issues being positive or negative. I don't think it benefits anybody to ignore something as serious as a man being found dead on Dupont. Especially seeing as it has not been reported anywhere else.

Also, speaking about a business such as "This Month Only" and hi-lighting the issues some neighbours have had with this place is only a good thing. I have no idea what can be done about "This Month Only", but this is a great forum to talk about ideas.

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   2 weeks 5 days ago

Why do people continue to come on this forum to highlight the negative things that may happen in the JT? Someone posted a while ago how Toronto Life had us in the top 20 of neighborhoods in the city and you know what, no one replied to that positive bit of news! We are surrounded by other neighborhoods that also scored in the top 20...Davenport/Corso Italia and Wallace Emerson. Someone surfing this blog from the outside must wonder about the negativity stemming from these posts. I mean we all recognize that every neighborhood has it's problems(as ours does),but this is typical of Torontonians and Canadians to have a complex about themselves and always feel insecure about what they have! Sad! Yes, we know the places that need work, but what about the places that are doing it right!

• Toronto Coffee Company   3 weeks 3 days ago

I could not resist: http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2014/07/lay-off-almond-milk-igno...

Who would have thought almonds would become a source of shaming and controversy? : ) This story is one of the most read on the Mother Jones site and while the writer has written a lot about almonds and drought I think this story was designed to rile people up a bit.

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   3 weeks 3 days ago

oh wow, this was not on the news anywhere. if it weren't for this forum, we would never know. not sure what is worse in our neighbourhood. the drug related crimes, or the nasty smell coming from Nitta

• Potential Salon Opening   3 weeks 3 days ago

I actually partnered with a hair stylist to setup a salon in the hood at the plaza at Dupont and Perth - it was called "Sweet Hair and Spa". The salon was a hair and nails spa. The previous owner had a salon there as well. Here is what I learned I hope you can benefit from it.

1. It helps to speak Portuguese. I actually own one of the units in the plaza and brought it from a salon owner. After buying it I partnered with a hair dresser to run a salon.

The previous salon owner was always busy and complained about working alot. She had back problems and I think she didn't really want all the responsibilities of managing the building.

2. It takes a while to gather clients. I helped run it for 10 months. We kindof did a chair/space rental businesses. The hair dresser did great but that was because she already had regular existing clients. The nails specialist had to work hard to build up clientele. The salon at the time was newly renovated. Obviously the summer months were great for business. Over winter the walkins died down. I think there is lots of potential if you have a good personality - it also helps to speak Portuguese because there is not enough modern hair salon places in the area to accommodate the Portuguese community.

3. In the height of the business we had a hair stylist, a nail person, a aromatherapy/hair removal specialist and a tattoo artist there.

The hair stylist and the tattoo artist did super well. The nail person was really new at running her own business and didn't feel like she was making her rent but she was getting lots of new clients with alot of (direct) mail marketing. The aromatherapy client was not doing so well.
    At the end, because the nail specialist quit we decided to close shop.

I really just wanted to be landlord and to run a business I am not familiar with. The hair stylist did not really want to rent and manage the store. The tattoo artist could not cover the rent alone so we decided to call it quits.

4. Shortly after closing the nail specialist came back and regretted her decision. She started to understand that her business takes a while to build up and after leaving she realize what the benefits of running your own business are. I think 2 years is the mark to break even for a business because you are no longer looking for new client or walk-ins as your main source of income. It is when the regulars make up the bulk of your business.

I think there is an untapped market in the area for hair/nail/tattoo parlours/spas as can be seen by the hair salon at Dufferin Mall. But I think the clientele are looking for a $20-40 hair cut. I think once you have established your regulars you can start doing more upscale work.

Anyways having tried it and failed, I hope someone else might learn from my failures.

Good luck!

• Toronto Coffee Company   3 weeks 3 days ago

I like almond milk. They cater to lots of vegan options which is very very nice!

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   3 weeks 3 days ago

Wow thanks for the update. I didn't think that actually did happen in the neigbourhood.

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   3 weeks 4 days ago

This Month Only is a blight on our community. Every night people screaming, yelling, blatantly selling drugs outside, constant fighting, drunk people getting into cars, harassment of bystanders, bikers idly revving their motorcycles at 3 a.m - the list goes on. I really wish the police would crack down on this place.

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   3 weeks 4 days ago

Hi,
    Yes police knocked on our doors. Asking if we heard any noises. They said that somebody "passed away" from the bar. It is unfortunate that police comes only if somebody "passes away". Those over-serving (often to drivers) bars are a real danger to our residents.

There is NON EMERGENCY Police line to call for drug deals and drunk drivers:
    416-808-2222

there a line for liqueur license enforcment
    Staff Sergeant. Ed Wong: (416) 326-7161.

• Davenport Diamond Grade Separation   4 weeks 16 hours ago

To the young man who stopped to explain the purpose of the meeting - Thank you!

• Jane's Walk: Intriguing, industrial, Sterling Road!!   4 weeks 4 days ago

Hello!
    I'll be leading the Jane's Walk tour next week--super excited! We will now be including interior tours of a glass studio, a print studio, Kal Mansur studio's and Phillip Beasley's incredible sculptural installations in the 213 and 225 Sterling Road buildings. Please join us for a drink after the walk at Gaslight bar at the end of Sterling Road at Bloor St. and if you have any suggestions for amazing things to point out on Sterling do let me know!

-Catto

• 5th Anniversary of Junction Triangle Naming Project   4 weeks 5 days ago
  • 5th Anniversary of Junction Triangle Naming Project   4 weeks 5 days ago

Hi, I had emailed the photos from the Junction Triangle's 5th Anniversary event to you awhile ago. Did you receive them?

• Community Cleanup Day   5 weeks 2 days ago

Yes...I just fixed that. I'm easily confused. :)