Recent comments

• Large Lot Between Wallace Ave & Paton Rd on Lansdowne   20 weeks 3 days ago

Hi All,

Has anyone heard any update on the future development of this lot? It is quite scary walking by this lot at night. It will be great if some sort of development gets underway.

• subway noise   20 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks for the responses. We've lived here two weeks now and already we seem to be getting used to it!

• subway noise   20 weeks 3 days ago

We also live just North of Bloor and hear the subway noise all the time. For the first week, I woke up at 6am with the first train and couldn't sleep in. Now, we hardly notice the noise at all and it never bothers us. You'll get used to it.

• Annual Junction Triangle Home Style Craft Show   20 weeks 3 days ago

Hello, I sent a message earlier asking if I could participate in the craft show, and I see hear that tables cost $30-$45. I would like to have one table please...how do I secure one, and when to pay the fee?

Regards,
    Alison Urquhart

• Effect on foundation next to railroad   20 weeks 3 days ago

yes I am interested also. Can owners on Rankin Cresent please advise?

• Effect on foundation next to railroad   20 weeks 4 days ago

I don't live right next to any of the tracks, but there are some homes in the area that are very close, and are many decades old.....100+ years.

I haven't heard any stories about effects from the trains themselves, but when Metrolinx was doing the pile-driving for the West Toronto Diamond grade separation a few years ago, that caused some interesting problems in homes...

Probably not much to worry about, but I'm curious to hear from close-to-the-tracks neighbours too.

-Vic

• subway noise   21 weeks 6 hours ago

We live next to the CN line and got use to the sound/vibration really quickly. We actually find it weird when we go away and there is no vibration.

• subway noise   21 weeks 17 hours ago

We hear the subway in our basement a little (Symington, between Rankin and Ernest). Hardly notice, really, but I'm sure it's louder closer to Bloor / Rankin.

Pretty much anyone I've ever talked to about subway or train noise says they get used to it and stop noticing.

Good luck.

-Vic

• 362 / 370 Wallace Ave. (Former Glidden site) - Wallace Walk   21 weeks 1 day ago

That's great news on both fronts Scott. Thanks for the updates.

• Railroad noise and vibration   21 weeks 1 day ago

At this time most of the train traffic is commuter, a few trains a day. This will increase some time in the next 10 years as GO plans more frequent service. I cant speak to the noise and vibration but people live there.

In terms of safety, all areas have crime. Crime in our area according to police stats has been going down every year for the past 15 years. I consider our area as safe as anywhere else.

362 Wallace update # 1
    The developer has decided NOT to put a parking lot on the buildings that run along Railpath. Why is not important so roof will be partially green and there may also be roof access from the new community building. They will put the parking underground.

362 Wallace update #2
    There was a meeting today with Ana Bailao, City departments, and the developer regarding the tearing up of Railpath park. To make a long story short the land needs to be re-graded because it will cause water to buildup underground against the new buildings leaving the City liable for damages. Next spring everything will be put back basically the way it was although not as hilly and Parks will have the final say to make sure it is done right.There was general agreement that the City dropped the ball on keeping the public, the councillor, and the Parks manager abreast of what was going on.

On a smaller note the long awaited water fountain at Wallace and Railpath will be in next year and with the changes to the bridge mean we will finally have power on site so we wont need the generators anymore for events.

• 2014 Municipal Election   21 weeks 1 day ago

Some numbers worth noting from Monday's election for Councillor in Ward 18 Davenport. The Junction Triangle is made-up of four polling districts at the municipal level - polls one, six, seven and eight cover the entire neighbourhood.
    There were 2796 votes cast in the Junction Triangle for Councillor. Ana captured exactly 50% support with 1398 votes and won three of the four polls. Alex got 831 votes (29.7% support).
    Without jumping to too many conclusions, it is safe to say that the 567 vote plurality that Ana gained in the Junction Triangle played a big part in securing her victory over Alex by 850 votes.
    You can find all the official Davenport results online by following the link.

• Railroad noise and vibration   21 weeks 1 day ago

hi can anybody comment on this please? as well as the safety level in this area. any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance for your time

• Sterling Social (Bloor and Sterling)   21 weeks 2 days ago

no more hippieland tea house

• 2014 Municipal Election   22 weeks 2 days ago

The Globe has an article about the Ward 18 race, featuring Mazer, Bailao, and Hunt.

• NOW Magazine covers the Glidden Paint cleanup   22 weeks 3 days ago

If you have any direct evidence of this please post. Otherwise dont post anecdotal conjecture. Of course many of the plants around here were dangerous places to work and some of them utilized dangerous chemicals. It was not until the 1980's that industry in general began to create cleaner work places. Prior to Glidden our area was saturated with coal and heavy oil companies which must have been horrible places to work from a health point of view.But its important not to needlessly worry people or create myths about things in the past. I am in no way doubting your premise and am sorry for your loss. But if you have any data I would love to see it.

• 2014 Municipal Election   22 weeks 4 days ago

Hi there,

At the request of a couple people from the Junction Triangle Parents Facebook group, I have arranged an "ask Alex Mazer" coffee session for undecided voters. It will be on Wednesday, October 22 at 10:00 a.m. at Propeller Coffee.

Alex's full platform is online. He received the Toronto Star's endorsement as well as those of many residents, community leaders, city builders, and artists. (Sarah Polley's endorsement came today.)

Please share this with your neighbours who might be undecided. I know I encountered many when canvassing last weekend.

Best,

mmj

• 2014 Municipal Election   22 weeks 4 days ago

I know a family on Perth that has an Uddin sign mysteriously appear on their lawn. They promptly removed it.

• 2014 Municipal Election   22 weeks 4 days ago

Mohammed Uddin's campaign team placed two signs on our fence without permission.

they have also placed signs where other candidates signs are placed on private property.

• 2014 Municipal Election   22 weeks 5 days ago

If the impaired driving conviction was part of a pattern of questionable behavior, then there would be a reason to pursue this issue. Should voters be aware of it, yes. But they should also know that Ana admitted her wrong, pleaded guilty and took her punishment. Her office continued to function, she never disappeared on a leave of absence or blamed anyone else for her behavior. She has demonstrated a strength of character through all of the media attention and public scrutiny and still delivered tangible results. That's an admirable kind of resilience. She's no pushover and that's the kind of person I want as my elected representative.

• 2014 Municipal Election   22 weeks 5 days ago

The issue of drunk driving is highly relevant. Drunk driving is a criminal offense, one, which as a society we consider to be so offensive that upon suspicion we suspend the drivers license of the person without need of due course. Once convicted further punishment is both immediate and harsh. We should not so easily dismiss the actions of a person who perpetrates such an offense simply due to their status, or because we otherwise like them. We expect elected officials to both lead by example and show significant judgement in the carrying out of their duties, being guilty of such an offense shows a significant failing of the required judgement; moreover while we have ostracised Rob Ford (whom I do NOT support) for his actions while being drunk in public, none of those actions resulted in charges let alone conviction. We should hold every elected official to the same standard.

• NOW Magazine covers the Glidden Paint cleanup   22 weeks 6 days ago

its so sad how many employees died because of glidden paints, my father was one of them. would love to get everyone who had family members that past away because of the chemicals from glidden paints and sue that company.

• Junction Triangle T-Shirt Logo Contest   23 weeks 22 hours ago

Hi Frank,
    Thanks for bringing this up. I want to clarify that this is strictly a community building activity that I am volunteering to coordinate. I am an individual, not affiliated with any group, just looking for something fun to do on my maternity leave and get to know people in the 'hood. Children and all community members have been invited to participate to foster community spirit. There will be no profit for anyone, including myself. The t-shirts will be offered at cost and I will be asking people to order t-shirts because I do not want to lose any of my own money purchasing the shirts.
    Cheers,
    Vicki

• Junction Triangle T-Shirt Logo Contest   23 weeks 1 day ago

Tshirts aren't selling for a profit. Just to cover costs so JTers can walk about showing their pride in their neighbourhood :)

• 2014 Municipal Election   23 weeks 1 day ago

Hi there!

For your consideration...

I'd like to share the latest video from the Alex Mazer Campaign with you called "Ward 18 Matters."

Have a great day,