Recent comments

• Baguette and Co.   33 weeks 21 hours ago

banh mi will be great...better yet serve pho as well...i will for sure come by often..haha

• Baguette and Co.   33 weeks 21 hours ago

Bagette and Co. is very cool, they have great Bánh mì at reasonable prices.

North corner of Dupont and Edwin will be a gardening store.

• Potential Salon Opening   33 weeks 1 day ago

i dont know if this neighbourhood want or is ready for a salon of this caliber..i can not speak for everyone...but a salon of this is definitely not for me..i am currently paying $20 (for men)...and i think im already paying too much...again..i can not speak for anyone else but myself..and i am only speaking for myself the way..does anyone know where to get a haircut cheaper than $20...i dont mind saving a few more dollars since i have a mortgage to pay, kids to raise and parents to

• Potential Salon Opening   33 weeks 1 day ago

it all depends on the biggest variable which is the price...and ppl dont go out of their way to get a is normally close to home..or close to if there is already a place close to work..then it is just as convenient as it is close to that dollar value is really pointless if ppl are not really going out of their way nor on the is simply just on the way home after the work...

• Potential Salon Opening   33 weeks 1 day ago

Interesting point, I'd put a dollar value on being able to walk (and on time saved) to a place where I'd feel comfortable getting a haircut in the area instead of having to head out of my way somewhere on the weekend, which is what i do now to get my hair done.

• Potential Salon Opening   33 weeks 2 days ago

i hear ya...i hope you can become sucessful...i was just speaking from a consumer's point of view...if you were buying similar goods/services, would you consider the different costs associated with each seller/provider, or you would be more concerned about the cost that you have to pay to obtain that particular good/service?...i think most people will consider the cost they have to this area where most of us work hard to earn our dollars...even though we are willing to help local businesses.......we are only hurting our own pockets if it requires spending more for similar goods/services found else where...wonder who's going to help us at the end?...that's all....i'm sure we can help in other ways..but if it requires us spending more money...then that's tough right?...if the price is right...i personally will come to you everytime..if the price is too high...feel free to state what other form of help you need.....thanks.

• Potential Salon Opening   33 weeks 3 days ago

Thank-you for your feedback. When I first moved to Toronto in 2001, I paid these prices for a haircut then even as a student. The businesses that charge less that you speak of have been in the neighbourhood for years and most of them own the buildings they are in. Therefore only having to pay property taxes. The prices that I charge have actually been the same for about 8 years, only to have a small raise with the HST tax. That means as an entrepreneur I haven't experienced a raise in 8 years. The "price" I have no problem paying, in order to work for myself. If I charged less I would not be able to afford the commercial rent in any neighbourhood in Toronto. At my current prices I can only now afford to pay commercial rent in the Junction Triangle. Commercial rent like residential is growing at an increasingly rapid pace, pushing out small business unfortunately and making it so that bigger business is the only kind that can afford to be in any neighbourhood. I assume for most residents of our smaller toronto neighbourhoods, that the idea of their own area turning into a gentrified, generic commercial business hub is less than ideal.

I appreciate your comment and hope this opens you up to helping small, local business growth.

• Potential Salon Opening   34 weeks 2 days ago

i personally would not feel comfortable paying this much for a haircut around here when more established salons in the downtown core offer similar maybe want to charge less...just my 2 cent...

• Potential Salon Opening   34 weeks 3 days ago

That is a very good point. The more good businesses the more the local residents will shop, local.

• Potential Salon Opening   34 weeks 6 days ago

I agree, the more new businesses & services the better,

Remember we are still a somewhat smaller voice considering lots of development is already on the way/happening, within 12-18mths we will likely need many more indie startups to meet demand and keep residents shopping in area

I think the timing is right if one wants to grow with the area

• Potential Salon Opening   34 weeks 6 days ago

By caliber I meant my price point. The junction triangle has a couple of salons and has had more in the past. None of which we're in this same price range. All past(too my knowledge)and even current are at a much lower price point.

• Potential Salon Opening   34 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks for the feedback. Neighbourhood support is what would keep my business growing.

• Potential Salon Opening   34 weeks 6 days ago

Most new businesses come up with a 3-5 year plan. As I said in my post I have a very loyal/full clientele. I can support a business on my own. I do however want to be able to bring other stylists on board. I was hoping for feedback on foot traffic, drive-by traffic, neighbourhood resident support that sort of thing. Any suggestions for how I go about my market research? I do live and work in a very close neighbourhood and have for years, which gives me a bit of insight. I have talked and will continue to speak with other local business owners as well.

• Junction Triangle T-Shirt Contest Results   35 weeks 1 day ago

Not sure if anyone has posted the site where you can order your Junction Triangle t-shirts. This is the spot:

• Potential Salon Opening   35 weeks 2 days ago

i would think not....
    have you done market research? i would suggest u do that in detail before u open a shop only to close it 3 months later! SUccess is 90% planning, 10% action!

• Potential Salon Opening   35 weeks 2 days ago

I live on Dupont West of Symington and would certainly love something that close to home.

• Potential Salon Opening   35 weeks 3 days ago

I think the more new business that move in to the area the better!

Can I ask what you mean by "caliber" of salon? Do you have examples of the type of hair salons your shop would be like?

• Google Maps and Street View - Our neighbourhood   36 weeks 1 day ago

I noticed tonight that Google Maps now shows the extension of Edwin Ave. from Ruskin Ave. down to Wallace Ave., through the currently under construction Wallace Walk (former Glidden factory) site:

Also...Ruskin Ave. Streetview now has my photo walking down Ruskin Ave. :) I took photos of the car as it went by too. August 15 2014.

• Dodge Plant Fire   36 weeks 3 days ago

very cool update, thanks, Vic!

• Dodge Plant Fire   36 weeks 3 days ago

Stumbled across this on Flickr and followed the link to

The Dodge Manufacturing Co. has a wonderfully detailed article in the Jan-June 1913 edition of Canadian machinery and Metalworking, including lengthy textual descriptions, photos, and a site map.

Here's the site map on Flickr:

...which links to the complete article on (starting on Page 25):

• Perth/St.Luigi Playground   36 weeks 6 days ago

A great volunteer opportunity still exists for neighbourhood parents. Despite all of the "discussion" about Phase 1 of the Perth Public School playground, no one has stepped forward to lead the next round of improvements. If you are willing to devote time over the next couple of years raising money and building a group dedicated helpers, this could be just the job for you. Generations of children will be grateful and you will receive an education into the mysterious workings of the Toronto District School Board. Just call the office (416-393-1410) and let the principal Janice know you're ready to make our neighbourhood even better.

• Redevelopment of the Wallace-Perth Church property (Union Lofts)   36 weeks 6 days ago

Apparently there's a petition circulating in the neighbourhood regarding the "Praise the Loft" slogan.

Though I think the slogan is kind of cheesy (and cheeky!), the reaction is kind of hilarious....

The Villager has an article:

• Dog poop Wallace at the Railpath   36 weeks 6 days ago

A growth industry.

New York times had a story about one condo where the poop issue vanished the day the program was instituted.

• Corner of Lansdowne and Dupont   37 weeks 2 hours ago

Hi Everyone! I'm looking to buy an apartment and found one at the Junction, I don't know the area that much but I have read that is growing. I currently live around Queen st and it will be a big change for me. I have gone around there for summer but I would like to hear from the neighbors how is living there? Is it a walkable area? I'm sorry for all the questions, but it's my first big purchase and I don't want to mess it up. I heard also about the contamination, the train noise. The building I'm looking at it's the one at Heitzman.

Thank you! :)

• Dog poop Wallace at the Railpath   37 weeks 20 hours ago

with all of the great off leash parks in the immediate area, it is such a shame that people just don't care. Wish there was a better way to communicate to the dog owners who don't want to obey the rules, but unfortunately these people will never learn. For the record, I think there are many more fantastic dog owners than bad ones, but the bad ones are the ones that cause the issues