Recent comments

• Shooting   39 weeks 2 days ago

I also didn't hear anything and have friends that live on Hugo. But I do agree that " this month only " has to GO. It has been a thorn in my side for years. I have seen everything you can think of happen there, drugs, prostitution and overly drunk costumers, which I've seen drive away. I have contacted Ana Bailao office about this many times, they say that there working on it...well 4 yrs. Mrs. Bailao and the local police haven't done much??? But guess calling the police is all we have ??? hoping for better solution.

• 362 / 370 Wallace Ave. (Former Glidden site) - Wallace Walk   39 weeks 2 days ago

Sousa Mendes was a Portuguese Consul General in Bordeaux France, during the second World War II . He was able with fake documents and other means help thousands of Jews and other racial minorities escape the Nazi war machine that was occupying France and taking to the death camps. So I guess certain groups in Toronto, Portuguese and Jewish are doing this to honor his name for what he did to save there lives, and deserved respect...

• Meeting: Proposal to Open Restaurant on Edwin Ave.   39 weeks 5 days ago

Excellent, many thanks for that update! Let's hope no zoning regulations or such will stand in the way.

• Meeting: Proposal to Open Restaurant on Edwin Ave.   39 weeks 5 days ago

I sent the same comment to Metropolis' owner and he said they would definitely look into pursuing a railpath entrance and café one they get going, but step 1 is get the restaurant going.

• 168 Bus Speed on Symington   40 weeks 9 hours ago

I do mean the #168. Thanks for pointing that out. I will change the post.

• 168 Bus Speed on Symington   40 weeks 13 hours ago

Hello do You mean #168 Symington Bus?

• 362 / 370 Wallace Ave. (Former Glidden site) - Wallace Walk   40 weeks 1 day ago

Interesting. Haven't read the details of this whole report, but anyone know why the Edwin Ave. extension is called Sousa Mendes Street / Road? Any context of who that's named after?

Click here to read recent appeal:appeal is allowed

Wallace moves forward with plans. Only the freezing weather slowing it down now.

• Meeting: Proposal to Open Restaurant on Edwin Ave.   40 weeks 2 days ago

I live on Wallace Ave., not far from the Metropolis Factory, and I am very supportive of a restaurant there.

I am not sure what the regulations allow, but I have suggested in an e-mail to Councillor Bailao that the restaurant be required, or at least encouraged, to have an entrance from the West Toronto Railpath. That would make it easier for patrons to arrive by foot or bike, rather than by car.

I think it would also set an interesting precedent for potential rezoning of other areas around the path, which could make it easier to get to cafes, restaurants, bars and grocery stores by foot and bike, without bothering drivers. The Railpath is nice but I find it immensely frustrating that is doesn't get me anywhere I need to go. To get groceries or a coffee I have to risk my life just crossing Dundas.

Moreover, if residents on Edwin Ave. would have any concerns about noise and traffic around Metropolis, I imagine it might help if the restaurant were to be accessed only from the Railpath, and not from the street. I hope zoning regulations would allow that.

• Meeting: Proposal to Open Restaurant on Edwin Ave.   40 weeks 5 days ago

How did this meeting go? I back on to the property and emailed in my support assuming things are done properly.

• Good Times Bad Times Cafe - Bloor and Sterling   41 weeks 1 day ago

Glad to see this place re-opened after being closed for a few months.

One of the original owners, Juan, is still there, but with a new partner now. Similar to previous setup: Teas, coffee, some desserts (the brownies and carrot cake today were awesome!). They also have board games, books, etc...

They're planning on doing some community-minded stuff in their space too. I look forward to seeing this place prosper.

• Boo Radley's Junction Bar & Grill   41 weeks 2 days ago

Michael and Shelley, owners of Boo Radley's emailed to tell me that they will be closed for a few days due to a "massive plumbing issue" and will "be open as soon as possible".

Good luck, M&S.

-Vic

• Train Wall Summit Reveals Little Support for Metrolinx Plan   42 weeks 3 days ago

The Junction Junction Triangle Rail Committee is are starting 2014 with some new ideas about finding a better resolution to noisy diesel trains than 16-foot high concrete noise walls. As our past suggests, we are no strangers to unorthodox approaches to this problem.
    With that in mind, we are asking area residents to call Mayor Rob Ford's office over the next few days. He is well known for many things including his hate for government waste and graffiti. The provincial Liberal government is prepared to let Metrolinx build 10 kilometres of graffiti walls through West Toronto. Less than three kilometres of those walls are required for the launch of the Union Pearson Express next year. We don't need seven kilometres of additional walls for more graffiti.
    So please take a moment and call his office: 416-397-3673. A dozen calls from local residents will get us on the radar and might help us gain a new ally in a battle we are losing (so far). Ask the Mayor to help us stop this waste of money and prevent the construction of a massive canvas for graffiti and gang tagging through our neighbourhood.

• Noise Wall Committee Websites   42 weeks 6 days ago

I have not heard of such a committee till date to be honest. Anyways thanks a lot for sharing this information through this site. I think more of the media and people should be aware about this. I would like to know more.

• George Chuvalo - Local boxing champ   43 weeks 5 days ago

I gave my father a Christmas present that I knew he would like and he loved it. It is George Chuvalo's new book. My dad can really relate to this book as he is from the Junction, I live here now, and he is familiar with a lot of places and names in the book. He said it is hard for him to put the book down. The first thing he asked me when he opened it this Christmas, was, is it signed? I just bought it at Indigo, there was no book signing. Would it be possible for my father to get the book signed by George Chuvalo. That would mean a lot to my dad. Does anyone know if he will be doing any book signings in the future. Please let me know. My dad lives in Brampton ON. My dad said the book was the best gift I could have gotten him. AAAAAWWWW.

• Shooting   44 weeks 3 days ago

I didnt hear anything. I live at close to Hugo and TMO. The spot is bad. I call the Police every time i see, drag dealers idling around.
    TMO also over-serves to his customers. I think the only way to change the area, is to call the police every time we see something odd.

• 299 Campbell development & expansion of the Perth-Dupont Library   45 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks for the great news Kevin,

Special thanks goes to the JT / PerthDupont library visionaries and supporters,

And a big THANK YOU to our city councillor Ana Bailao, you and your team have given our community a great asset, our children & adults will benefit greatly, because of your efforts....

• Electrification EA Commences   45 weeks 1 day ago

If the public had not protested we would not be having this conversation. If the public had not protested then 2017 would not have ever been a "potential" electrification date. I sat through years of hearing that Tier 4 was good enough and I can provide you tons of mailings that came to my door saying so from Metrolinx, writings from Metrolinx to Toronto's medical officer of health, plus letters from John Gerretsen and Bob Chiarelli former transport ministers saying so.

So exactly who are you again? Because this last post sounds like a PR release, one that is at odds with our collective experience as residents of this community who have spent hundreds of hours of their time making electrification an issue and making it a priority. We know, were there. So exactly who are you again?

• Electrification EA Commences   45 weeks 1 day ago

The possibility of electrification is absolutely great. The fact that CalTrain is looking at 2020 for their first section of electrified track means we aren't behind them but at pace, if not ahead, of them. If you look at what's been built in Europe or Montreal, there are poles every 40-50m, so for the 25-30km length you need to consider 1000-1500 foundation locations. That's not the type of thing you can design in a year without paying through the nose to the designers and then paying extra for all the issues that crop up during construction.

If Metrolinx had their head in the sand, we wouldn't be having this conversation as they'd still be maintaining that Tier 4 diesel was good enough. Since they decided to get behind the issue rather than continue to be at loggerheads with the community, there hasn't been a significant pause in the typical design process any project goes through.

• Electrification EA Commences   45 weeks 1 day ago

• Electrification EA Commences   45 weeks 1 day ago

Yes you are correct. There was opposition to new diesel going back to 2005 and not just in Weston. The Clean Train Coalition was formed after some other communities had started their own groups: hence coalition. Individual ratepayer organizations had also already voiced concern. Let me be really clear, from 2005, electrification has been an issue around here. It took time for the entire community to be aware but the more active people were. Any suggestion that GO/Metrolinx were not aware that electrification and expanded resulting service was something on the publics pre 2009 mind would be incorrect.

So I have to ask, what is your connection to all of this? Are you new to the community? (If so welcome).You are aware of the topic very very well and seem to be monitoring this site with interest.. Please dont be offended but I think many would like to know your connection to Junction Triangle, if any.

• Electrification EA Commences   45 weeks 1 day ago

I accept that you were not actually making cheap shots.

Metrolinx's 10 years is onerous because they had the obligation to use tax money wisely and consider ALL reasonable transit technologies.The few years of Metrolinx's tenure was denying electrification as an option whereas CalTrain took the opposite route and looked for the best solution, the best funding options, and then they justified it to the public and won the vote. A positive process which will succeed on many levels. You can plan till the cows come home but it wont mean anything if your head is in the sand.

• Electrification EA Commences   45 weeks 1 day ago

The official number to electrify the airport link is 440 million. That is the number that Metrolinx has given. There are numbers available for the different stages of the whole system.

A lot of people would love to know why electric trains were never considered. We are still waiting for an answer on that.

• Electrification EA Commences   45 weeks 1 day ago

Your points are well taken but we could only wish we were Vancouver with their electric system. I agree with your premise but based on our transit past I fear that the next step may not come in my lifetime.

I would add that it is sad that we need TV events or disasters to create motivation to act in the public good.

• Electrification EA Commences   45 weeks 1 day ago

Sporting events are important in so far as they give you a firm goal that can't flex to political necessity. Looking to the Vancouver Olympics as a parallel, some lasting infrastructure improvements that helped the provincial residents were the Canada Line ($2.05B) and upgrading the Sea-to-Sky Highway ($600M). These projects were long overdue and the consequence of planning for the event politically is that they 'had to done in time'. While the current plan for the UP Express is a premium service with a high cost and few stops, there is nothing to stop us from using the same infrastructure later for a lower cost, local service. We can still add a station to connect to the Eglinton-Crosstown LRT or a direct connection between Dundas West TTC station and Bloor GO station. A four-stop airport link that allows us to eventually run 3.5 times more GO trains is better than nothing. Even if it reached full capacity as diesel, it produces less than a quarter of the air pollution from traffic on Bloor. I hope electrification gets funded and built, but I count any step in the right direction as a small victory.