Recent comments

• 158 Sterling Rd. - Castlepoint - Former Tower Automotive site   29 weeks 6 days ago

great news! thanks for posting the link, looking forward to seeing Sterling Road revitalized in months and years ahead.

• 2014 Ontario Provincial Election   29 weeks 6 days ago

Dan Stein the Green Party candidate is one of the few candidates that clearly understands all the missed opportunities and potential cancellations in regards to the Airport link. In the process he somewhat makes a case for voting Liberal to stop Hudak from cancelling everything but his take is far clearer than most Toronto media "Tranpsortation Reporters" who basically just reprint press releases. Obviously he read and understood the 2010 Metrolinx study that showed they were on the wrong path. In his opinion the NDP abandoned the community on this issue; an idea that will find many backers I suspect.

Read his posting here.

If you think the map of proposed stations on an electrified line look like a DRL....you are right and should mention it at candidates meetings for provincial and city elections.

• George Chuvalo - Local boxing champ   30 weeks 19 hours ago

Great to hear from someone back in the day from the club. I fought out of beaches club during that era. My manager was Ken Cleveland. I used to train with bobby dynamite Defoe, the dobbins brothers...ect ect. I actually fought at maple leaf gardens on a pre card before a clyde grey fight. We were on a wind mill team fighting against oshawa. We won....
    If you know anyone from back in the day let me know. I used to be on city tv fight night every Friday..

• 158 Sterling Rd. - Castlepoint - Former Tower Automotive site   30 weeks 2 days ago

There is an agreement finally for the Castlepoint development.(The city Planning Department needs to get over its fixation with 1950's "employment lands" and Nestle needs to show up at public meetings like everybody else.) Now after some needless delay hopefully Sterling will now be revitalized. The agreement link is below and may take a few moments to load as it is a big document.

• New stop signs (Paton/Campbell) are not stopping traffic   30 weeks 3 days ago

Actually when I drive by that intersection I find it useful to look at the sidewalks and school bus stop for children trying to cross but if you prefer I start paying attention to objects 10 feet in the air on the opposite start of the street I'll do my best.

• 2014 Ontario Provincial Election   31 weeks 2 days ago

Judging by the signs around the neighbourhood, people might be left wondering if the Liberals are actually fielding a candidate in this year's provincial election. Just saw the first lawn sign for the Liberal candidate today on Perth Avenue more than a full week after the election campaign officially started. The NDP have had signs up almost from day one. Hope the Liberals are not taking the riding for granted.

• 2014 Ontario Provincial Election   31 weeks 3 days ago

I decided to check the "Freedom Party" and looked at their budget documents to see if there was anything that impacts Ward 18. There really wasnt but I was surprised that they are convinced of a plot by the Liberals, NDP, and Conservatives to use living wills to force doctors to give lethal injections into old people so that they die and the government saves money. Yup. Its one of the first items in their document on page 4. (They say that this is not a real solution to saving money and that is open to debate but their initial premise is.). This is the worst kind of deliberate misinformation and worthy of a few words.

They claim this is all supposedly revealed in the Drummond Report on reducing government expenses. Yes living wills can reduce health care costs but when it comes to claims of killing people the Freedom Party should be called the Palin Party.

As anybody who has already dealt with elderly relatives or their parents the idea of getting a living will is a really good idea so that A) the end of life wishes of the person are known and followed and B) it removes decision making stress and potential arguments from the stressed family. The whole idea of living will is to create respect and dignity for those that may be near the end of their life. Having gone through this myself I can say that honouring a living will creates a great feeling of have respected the wishes of one you love. One side effect of living wills is that it stops the situations where patients who cannot speak for themselves are subjected to extreme measures to keep them alive because a family cant decide what to do or when to say enough. As people have tended to live longer and we have so many ways to prolong some semblance of life it is hard for families to agree when there is nothing more that can be done.

Living wills obviously save the system money, frees up beds faster, and directs staff to those who may be able to be helped. The Drummond report is clear about this and says we need to create conversation on this topic as a way of convincing people that living wills benefit the family, other families, and society. Nowhere in the Drummond Report does it suggest in any way that doctors provide lethal injections to kill people.

The Freedom Party overlooks the fact that living wills are as different as the people they serve. Different people will have different yardsticks of what they wish to endure in terms of pain, how they might wish to die, where they might wish to die (78% of people say they want to die at home). As well living wills are not just for the old, they are a great idea in case one is involved in an accident.Regardless, these are the wishes of the individual, made when they are mentally competent and in no way directed by governments trying to save money. The Freedom Party says that the government will force doctors to coerce individuals to chose to be injected to die sooner but not only is there zero evidence of this, most living wills are done with a legal expert who specializes in these issues, they are not done in doctors offices. (Never mind that the OMA would be against this practice.)

The Freedom Party talk about forced lethal injections is farcical because they are trying to confuse the issue of euthanasia with living wills. Living wills are about quality of care, pain relief, sedatives, do not resuscitate orders and palliative care choices and legal passive consensual euthanasia (when life support is removed by directive of a living will or family choice). Euthanasia/assisted suicide is in legal flux right now and there will be changes and probably Supreme Court challenges and the results could impact what legally can be put into a living will; but again it will still be the decision of the individual to decide. The government cant force you to have a regular will or a power of attorney...so the idea of forcing people to have living wills and to chose the outcomes is ludicrous.

There are a lot of good reasons for using living wills and saving the health care system money is one of them. But coercing citizens to end their lives? Sorry thats tin foil hat talk. I have a hard time taking a party seriously that needlessly creates fear among older citizens and discredits and politicizes the use of living wills; a document that brings a lot of calm and dignity to stressful situations. I have a living will and it brings me great comfort knowing that my wishes will be respected and that I will have control should I no longer be able to speak (or write long web posts) and its kind of a gift to my loved ones knowing that they will never be burdened should something happen to me or when my days draw to a close.

• French Immersion starting at Perth Ave P.S. in Sept 2014   32 weeks 2 days ago

Awesome, I'm in my last year at Harbord, I wish this happened 14 years ago haha

• Starbucks?   32 weeks 4 days ago

The building permit records say Zoya Bar & Grill as well.
    "Proposal for interior alterations to the basement and ground floor of existing mixed use building for a restaurant with 28 seats. "Zora Bar and Grill". "
    I hope its more grill than bar.

• Starbucks?   32 weeks 6 days ago

That corner has greatly improved over the last few years.

The attraction for Metro will be the hundreds of new units that will rise above it plus all the existing town homes to the north and the Chelsea lofts across the street. The trend is now to have more grocery stores in denser areas. With Boo Radleys and a new library 2 blocks west plus other new businesses brining Dupont to life Metro will do fine there.

Sadly the Galleria Mall seems stuck in internal squabbles and will sit there deteriorating until somebody in their ownership group comes to their senses.

• New stop signs (Paton/Campbell) are not stopping traffic   32 weeks 6 days ago

So you are saying that if you drive on the same street everyday you stop looking around? Given that there is a school right there that kind of scares me. Almost as much as the people who never stop at Perth Wallace.

By the way I was pretty sure that the 4 "new sign" signs went up at the same time and you can see the new stop signs as clear as a bell from a block away. The pylon has nothing to do with the stop signs.

• Bloor St. W. Bridge Rehabilitation Work - Spring 2014 to Early 2015   32 weeks 6 days ago

Kori,

I suspect that Perth will become congested at all times as it is narrow and what would be considered light traffic on Bloor would be a lot on Perth.I think it will be 24 hours a day. I can recall that over the years transport trucks have tried to go around accidents on Bloor and then get stuck on our streets. Sadly for those on Symington it is the widest street in the community and will take the brunt.

Like most city changes they take time (and require polling which is underway in the community now). The advance green eastbound on Bloor at Symington and left turn restrictions onto Perth and a new crossing guard at Wallace and Perth are working their way through the system. I dont go a few days without getting a call from neighbours wanting this stuff done.

I did call Metrolinx about this because as it stands there is the real possibility that this traffic will jam the entire community, inhibit police and fire, and pose a risk to kids walking to school. This project could create traffic jams for a year so I am hoping that it is revealed before May 15 that there is some coherent plan that will control traffic levels. I was talking to some Perth folk yesterday and they are already annoyed with the cut through traffic up Perth so this could turn out to become a big issue.

• Bloor St. W. Bridge Rehabilitation Work - Spring 2014 to Early 2015   33 weeks 1 day ago

This will push more traffic up Symington & likely down Perth (namely during congestion times), for drivers trying to get around the construction.

It would be a good idea to increase child safety measures in our area ASAP, and in anticipation of the summer break.

I'm thinking more crossing guards, police presence at stop signs, speed limit enforcement, etc

Scott D, this might be the time to push through those traffic management planning measures the city has been looking at for our area.
    Because these lane restrictions on Bloor, plus the EB/WB traffic moving more & more north from the Gardiner lane reductions (traffic creeping up to King>Queen>Dundas etc), could make for the prefect storm (sic)

This might be worth a discussion & call the Ana Bailao office.....

Kori

• New stop signs (Paton/Campbell) are not stopping traffic   33 weeks 1 day ago

I didn't stop the first time at the Ruskin avenue location. There was no notification that new signs were put up and a pylon in the middle of the road. I would bet anyone not stopping is someone like myself who has gone through that intersection multiple times per day and wasn't expecting one.

• Rent a shared office space in the junction   33 weeks 2 days ago

I hope that you have found the place that you were looking for. If you want to now get a larger or different space you can try the local tab of Google+
    Virtual Offices

• Starbucks?   33 weeks 2 days ago

The buildings near the Coffee Time have gotten a lot better in recent years.
    The Star wrote about them about 18 months ago. http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/12/16/odd_bedfellows_make_nice_home...

• Starbucks?   33 weeks 2 days ago

I did ask Sobeys if they would consider opening one in the vacant lot on the corner they said they would look into it and this was last year August 2013. More and more I seriously doubt this Metro will ever materialize at Lansdowne and Dupont I mean what's the attraction? unless they get rid of the twin towers and the Coffee Time this area will never improve or attract developers not seriously. The riff raff from the towers opposite are a scary bunch who hang outside all day not an attractive scene for anyone living or shopping around there unless you can ignore them. I don't even want to get off the bus on that street let alone that. So my idea of a Sobey's preferred over Metro is better than a tiny greengrocers as the Galleria Mall is a no way zone for me.

• New stop signs (Paton/Campbell) are not stopping traffic   33 weeks 3 days ago

There are also new stop sings on Ruskin Avenue where it meets with Edwin & Franklin Streets. They are all-way stops.

• 158 Sterling Rd. - Castlepoint - Former Tower Automotive site   33 weeks 4 days ago

The developer, Nestle, the City, the Residents Association and the OMB are in mediation to resolve issues. There should be an update on where things stand by the end of May.

It is extremely rare that residents and the developer are on the same side so lets home this can be resolved and bring new jobs, residents, improvements to the area.

I believe this is the development in question.

• Nitta Gelatin factory emissions increasing?   34 weeks 1 day ago

Hi Folks,
    As of the meeting the other week Nitta is has been in place a technology to correct the smells. I have not smelled anything since last week, when it was installed so fingers are crossed that we might be at the end of this problem. I was the one who first started this thread (Aug 11, 2012) so I am hopeful that it over (but will update when more info is available). Robert

• Jane's Walk: Murals and Public Art in the Junction Triangle   34 weeks 6 days ago

just amazed with the perfection the color tone selected to complete the work. Street art is one form in which the innocence and the simplicity of the life is evident. Thanks for the beautiful share.

• House - siding   35 weeks 1 day ago

Hey there,

I'm a neighbourhood contractor happy to swing by and give an estimate, go through some options and choices. Send me an email when you can.

All the best
    Matt

• 158 Sterling Rd. - Castlepoint - Former Tower Automotive site   35 weeks 1 day ago

Hi, wondering if anyone has any information with regards to the sterling road development? I know Castlepoint was appealing to the OMB, and there appears to some activity on the site recently. I think it would be great for the community for that land to be redeveloped.

• 2376 Dundas St. West (North of Crossways): Tower Development   35 weeks 4 days ago

I would bet squatters are living there now with inactivity for so many years and this is better than having a working building there squabbling over how many floors and the shape is ridiculous. If Giraffe isn't going to do anything with it why not someone else like TCHC or Housing Connections. As none of us on the waiting list need parking or 29 floors or anything fancy. They could do it in conjunction with Habitat for Humanity and train up persons on OW or EI or students from construction programs. We don't need another condo especially not with one being west of it near Keele. With little affordable housing available you could help so many people especially the disabled like myself languishing waiting for TCHC or Housing Connections to get off their proverbial and stop spending on lavish offices for themselves. They sold 10 properties in Riverdale to fix currents repairs where does that leave the rest of us? So many of what is on offer through these two organizations are in unsafe neighborhoods and personally I could give a toss that it is near a subway. It is space being held up by stupidity and Perks big ideas meanwhile though saying he is a family person is happy as long as it is a pricey condo that no one but the idle rich can afford. Habitat is doing over condos alongside other properties so they have the know how a little cooperation and shadow training and we would already have at least a 10 or 5 storey building there. I remember what this place was as I went there for my first drink and the rubbish watering hole that it was. I for one would think it would do better to make it affordable housing and not just for families either to make it fair for everyone. The Sylvan Apartments is another site with the same hold and abandonment but that is near the dufferin mall area but that is not a Junction thing and there are old buildings in the Junction area used to commercial properties that could be converted but as long as our local MP sit on their hands and say no to this and that how is anything to be done. Stop sitting in your cushy chairs at your offices and do something productive.