Recent comments

• Toronto Coffee Company   2 years 15 weeks ago

I could not resist: http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2014/07/lay-off-almond-milk-igno...

Who would have thought almonds would become a source of shaming and controversy? : ) This story is one of the most read on the Mother Jones site and while the writer has written a lot about almonds and drought I think this story was designed to rile people up a bit.

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   2 years 15 weeks ago

oh wow, this was not on the news anywhere. if it weren't for this forum, we would never know. not sure what is worse in our neighbourhood. the drug related crimes, or the nasty smell coming from Nitta

• Potential Salon Opening   2 years 15 weeks ago

I actually partnered with a hair stylist to setup a salon in the hood at the plaza at Dupont and Perth - it was called "Sweet Hair and Spa". The salon was a hair and nails spa. The previous owner had a salon there as well. Here is what I learned I hope you can benefit from it.

1. It helps to speak Portuguese. I actually own one of the units in the plaza and brought it from a salon owner. After buying it I partnered with a hair dresser to run a salon.

The previous salon owner was always busy and complained about working alot. She had back problems and I think she didn't really want all the responsibilities of managing the building.

2. It takes a while to gather clients. I helped run it for 10 months. We kindof did a chair/space rental businesses. The hair dresser did great but that was because she already had regular existing clients. The nails specialist had to work hard to build up clientele. The salon at the time was newly renovated. Obviously the summer months were great for business. Over winter the walkins died down. I think there is lots of potential if you have a good personality - it also helps to speak Portuguese because there is not enough modern hair salon places in the area to accommodate the Portuguese community.

3. In the height of the business we had a hair stylist, a nail person, a aromatherapy/hair removal specialist and a tattoo artist there.

The hair stylist and the tattoo artist did super well. The nail person was really new at running her own business and didn't feel like she was making her rent but she was getting lots of new clients with alot of (direct) mail marketing. The aromatherapy client was not doing so well.
    At the end, because the nail specialist quit we decided to close shop.

I really just wanted to be landlord and to run a business I am not familiar with. The hair stylist did not really want to rent and manage the store. The tattoo artist could not cover the rent alone so we decided to call it quits.

4. Shortly after closing the nail specialist came back and regretted her decision. She started to understand that her business takes a while to build up and after leaving she realize what the benefits of running your own business are. I think 2 years is the mark to break even for a business because you are no longer looking for new client or walk-ins as your main source of income. It is when the regulars make up the bulk of your business.

I think there is an untapped market in the area for hair/nail/tattoo parlours/spas as can be seen by the hair salon at Dufferin Mall. But I think the clientele are looking for a $20-40 hair cut. I think once you have established your regulars you can start doing more upscale work.

Anyways having tried it and failed, I hope someone else might learn from my failures.

Good luck!

• Toronto Coffee Company   2 years 15 weeks ago

I like almond milk. They cater to lots of vegan options which is very very nice!

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   2 years 15 weeks ago

Wow thanks for the update. I didn't think that actually did happen in the neigbourhood.

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   2 years 15 weeks ago

This Month Only is a blight on our community. Every night people screaming, yelling, blatantly selling drugs outside, constant fighting, drunk people getting into cars, harassment of bystanders, bikers idly revving their motorcycles at 3 a.m - the list goes on. I really wish the police would crack down on this place.

• Dead man found in front of Bank of Montreal   2 years 15 weeks ago

Hi,
    Yes police knocked on our doors. Asking if we heard any noises. They said that somebody "passed away" from the bar. It is unfortunate that police comes only if somebody "passes away". Those over-serving (often to drivers) bars are a real danger to our residents.

There is NON EMERGENCY Police line to call for drug deals and drunk drivers:
    416-808-2222

there a line for liqueur license enforcment
    Staff Sergeant. Ed Wong: (416) 326-7161.

• Davenport Diamond Grade Separation   2 years 16 weeks ago

To the young man who stopped to explain the purpose of the meeting - Thank you!

• Jane's Walk: Intriguing, industrial, Sterling Road!!   2 years 16 weeks ago

Hello!
    I'll be leading the Jane's Walk tour next week--super excited! We will now be including interior tours of a glass studio, a print studio, Kal Mansur studio's and Phillip Beasley's incredible sculptural installations in the 213 and 225 Sterling Road buildings. Please join us for a drink after the walk at Gaslight bar at the end of Sterling Road at Bloor St. and if you have any suggestions for amazing things to point out on Sterling do let me know!

-Catto

• 5th Anniversary of Junction Triangle Naming Project   2 years 16 weeks ago
  • 5th Anniversary of Junction Triangle Naming Project   2 years 16 weeks ago

Hi, I had emailed the photos from the Junction Triangle's 5th Anniversary event to you awhile ago. Did you receive them?

• Community Cleanup Day   2 years 17 weeks ago

Yes...I just fixed that. I'm easily confused. :)

• Community Cleanup Day   2 years 17 weeks ago

I think that May and April have been interposed here, I could be wrong.

• Community Cleanup Day   2 years 17 weeks ago

I'm guessing April, and it's a typo...

• End of a JT landmark?   2 years 17 weeks ago

Reading the comments about the Wallace train pedestrian overpass. I was at two development meetings from the builder of the these new townhouses, and both times people asked about the Edwin road extension and were told that the new stair configuration would not involve a bridge closure for any amount of time. The new stairs do not continue in a straight line down, they will fold back towards the rail path, but at both meetings they said that the new stairs would be built and in place, and then they would remove the old staircase in order to extend Edwin down to Wallace.

If this has changed it is totally against the original planned project. People are referencing Vic's comments but I do not see them, if Vic has already said the same thing I am saying here, sorry about that!

• Davenport Diamond Grade Separation   2 years 17 weeks ago

Is the Metrolinx Super Bridge going to help the residents of Bloordale, Davenport Village and the Junction Triangle? Is it going to elevate the neighbourhood or just the trains?
    The Junction Triangle Rail Committee has a list of five ideas to make the plan better and we have started a discussion about the entire project that Metrolinx is attempting to avoid. Please join us.

• Southwest Corner of Dupont and Symington   2 years 17 weeks ago

A lot of these entries are old I can say up to 2013 there has been nothing done about this site Hydro used it when they were burying cables on Dupont. I asked Sobey's if they would consider building on the site they said they would investigate and heard nothing further since then and I moved away from the area but have been back coming through in 2014 and still nothing. I had no idea anything was buried underneath that would explain a lot. At the time I had only lived there that year and frustrated at the lack of proper grocery in the hood as 20 corner stores in the area is not helping things and totally useless it amazed me any of them are still around. So I am guessing once the Union Lofts go up no one will bother? I had asked the library but they are moving to Campbell I never understood why. This site has so much potential but goes unused because no one wants to bother even though the hood is changing. I had mentioned to Sobey's about that awful mall opposite with the bakery but no answer. It's sad even with new townhomes and a few new restos and cafes this side of Dupont remains neglected.

• Redevelopment of the Wallace-Perth Church property (Union Lofts)   2 years 17 weeks ago

Church at Perth Wallace update. So many folks have been annoyed with the construction trucks on the sidewalks, blocking the street, and the deliveries by large trucks during to and from school hours. There have been quite a few calls to the police (like a week ago when a truck was parked in the center of the intersection for 40 minutes at 4pm. The police came close to charging the driver.) Today by chance I ran into an inspector from the Ministry of Labour who said they had received complaints as well and that he was now actively involved in monitoring the project. He will be visiting the site on a regular basis from now on.There was many things he was not happy about and will be ordering them to stop deliveries during the morning and afternoon school walks and correcting the unsafe storage of building supplies. This inspector has the power to shut the site down so we should see some improvements.

• new banh mi sandwich place on dupont/symington?   2 years 19 weeks ago

We can't say enough how grateful we are to be in such a wonderful community! Along with banh mi with tasty char-grilled fillings, we offer soup, salad, baked goods and smoothies too. For the latest on what we are doing, you can always find us on facebook.com/baguetteco

Best,
    Lynn and Yong

• End of a JT landmark?   2 years 19 weeks ago

Thanks, that's reassuring.

• End of a JT landmark?   2 years 19 weeks ago

The only change is to reconfigure the east side stairs so that access is in the north-south direction, winding back on itself a once half way up. There will be no change to the main span or west side stairs. I live inthe neighbourhood and am doing work for the developer on this bridge with access to the building plans. The main span of the bridge is listed with the City as a heritage structure, so it would generally not be possible to demolish it without a very valid reason. Aside from a very cool structuee, this bridge serves a very usefull purpose for the community and is very well used by many people.

• End of a JT landmark?   2 years 19 weeks ago

Vic is correct. The bridge will be closed later this summer for 2 weeks. We are hoping that there will be bird netting put under the bridge too so people can sit under the bridge without heing pooed on.

• End of a JT landmark?   2 years 19 weeks ago

Unless something recently changed, the plan has been to just reconfigure the staircase so it does not interfere with the new road.

• Davenport Diamond Grade Separation   2 years 19 weeks ago

Seems like they are inviting select households to be part of the residents panel. I don't think it is fair to allow metrolinx to decide who can be on this panel. Has anyone received an invite who lives close to the tracks? I somehow doubt it. I would like to sign up on this panel, but require a 6 digit code. I think this is terrible, will bring down property values, add more pollution to the neighbourhood including sound, vibration, air, etc... Elevating a diesel train makes the pollution worse. This should be underground, end of story.

• new banh mi sandwich place on dupont/symington?   2 years 19 weeks ago

You're probably thinking of Baguette & Co. at Dupont and Edwin: http://www.junctiontriangle.ca/node/2434